Friday, October 16, 2015

PSA: Healthy Living, My Journey

I started living healthy after I was hospitalized about 3 years ago. I realized (by myself) that I couldn't go on living a life where I didn't love and respect my body. Completely changing my diet, starting a fitness regime and changing my mindset was what I did over night. I quit soda cold turkey. I also went on a detox cleanse to clear my body of impurities and chemicals. As opposed to what people think of going on a "diet," I didn't go vegetarian, paleo or vegan. I just started to eat wholesome foods that were good for the body. I started exercising little by little with the help of my yoga instructor, Tara Stiles. I woke up early and started walking, which then turned to running. Slowly but surely I got stronger and weight started to shed off. People started noticing the change in me and started asking questions: what kind of diet are you on, what kind of exercises do you do, how did you quit eating junk? I started sharing my knowledge that I had researched and learned through the beginning of my journey. I even went to yoga teacher training and became a certified yoga instructor. Right after my graduation, I started teaching classes and helping people get started with their fitness journey. I went through their ups and downs with them until they had reached their goals.
Fast forward a year later, it was a rainy fall day, I hadn't slept that well the night before, I started to have heart palpitations which then turned into tachycardia. My heart was beating 141 beats per minute. I was on the verge of a minor heart attack.
Quickly rushed to the hospital, I was  diagnosed there with hyperthyroidism and sent to another doctor. After many tests and doctors later, I was prescribed medication for my tachycardia. I still have tests to go to find out if I have a thyroid disease. 
Why, you ask, did this happen when I was living a healthy lifestyle? I don't know  but now I have to live with what was given to me. 
I now live in Thailand and try my best to eat clean and take care of myself. Now my dad's health is on the decline because of his many illnesses, I've decided to reform both our lifestyles. Our lives up to now has been lived carelessly, that meaning that there wasn't  much discipline. Once I get back to NY, we will both start living a life with more structure and order.
My advice to you as you start your journey is that don't listen to negative thoughts and comments that are made to you. If you are full and you haven't finished your plate, stop. Don't try to stuff your face with the rest of your plate just  because someone comments on starving children in Africa or how hard the rice patty farmers worked to give you rice. You politely say to that negativity, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all." Secondly, tenacity is key. Rome wasn't built in a day. You didn't gain weight in a day by eating one cheeseburger and you're not losing weight in a day by eating one salad. Keep going. Finally, have a support system around you that encourage you on your lifestyle change.Maybe you will inspire them to get involved too. 
My closing words for you is that if you never try something, you will never know what you are capable of. You are amazing more than you will ever know. If no one has ever said that to you, I'm saying it now. Believe and it will happen. 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Style and Bell. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig